Saturday, July 21, 2007

Craziness at the Mall

I don't know about you, but it's been a long time since I was at the mall at 1:00am. The last time I can remember was sometime when I worked in retail in the summer between years in college and had to stay late to do inventory. I remember staying so late that when we left the Panera people were just coming in to bake bagels.


So, when my friend Alicia told me she was thinking about going to the mall to get the new Harry Potter book, being the HP fan that I am I told her I would join her. We arrived at 10:30pm and were there to watch a real-life chess game, see people dressed as Harry, Hermione, Myrtle and more. Very strange, indeed. We both kept saying to each other, "I can't believe we're doing this."


After the countdown at midnight (very "Happy New Year"ish) we were afforded the opportunity to stand in line (albeight the wrong line at first) for not 30 minutes, but a whopping 63! As one high school guy in line next to us so aptly put it, "I feel like I'm losing brain cells by the minute." We still could not believe we stood in line for an hour when we probably could have gone to the super Wal-Mart down the street, walked in and picked up a copy. Ahh...but the experience was worth it (maybe...). When we walked out, some guy was trying to bribe the B&N employee guarding the door with $10 (serious cash!) to let him in to buy a copy. At 1:00am!!


So now, I am the proud owner of the final HP book. Happy reading to me!


No comments: